Saturday, October 19, 2013

Chapter 3 Continued

"Are you sure this will work boy?" Jacks sighed, he looked tired from having carried the pelt of the bear this far even though I did not think it had been that heavy.
"It has too." I repositioned Lilith on my hip and whispered in her ear, "Just stay quiet and we will take you somewhere safe." I felt her nod against my chest as we arrived in the middle of Woodside, at the home of the ruling lord, though it seemed many others had gathered here having heard the news that we had taken the job. I knocked on the door as I started to hear people muttering in the crowd. "We have come to deliver the pelt of the menace of these woods, and collect our reward."
I could hear shuffling from the other side of the door, then it opened slowly and I took a step back as the lord, I assumed, stepped out.
"So you are the one who took the request. You're a lot younger then the men who I thought might take it."
"Youth means nothing when it comes to fighting spirit." I said it loud enough so everyone around us could also hear it. I motioned to Jacks as I spoke again. "This is the mother bear, I found three cubs with her and had cornered this girl that is with me. She's quite shaken up so I will take her with us where we can keep a close eye on her until she becomes well again."
"Very well, here is your reward. . ." A bag of silver was thrown at me and I caught it as best I cold while still holding onto Lilith. "Now leave this place."
"I. . . I don't understand. We- we did the job as was asked of us. Shouldn't you be more happy. . ."
"No one wants you here peasant." I will always remember these next couple of moments as long as I live. The man turned around and spat at me. So I called out to Jacks and gave Lilith a slight toss, he dropped the pelt, caught the girl and drew his sword in one fine motion. The moment she left my hands I began to turn and as I did I drew my bow with one arrow and faced the man.
"You dare mock me? You dare think you are better than me? Because you have money, you have a title? What gives you the right? What makes you think in your little petty mind? I don't see you taking care of your villagers, making sure they are kept safe from harm like we had to. I did not see a sign on any road even asking the army for assistance. If it were not for us then these bears could have come into this town and slaughtered you all in you sleep. . ."
"Jasper. . ."
"And this is the thanks we get for it? Give me one good reason why any guild member should take a job from the likes of you again, I dare you." I knew I was yelling and I knew I could let my fingers slip but I was better than that. This was just some man full of power that he could not see how he had asked for help. But his answer was something I wish I had never heard.
"For money. It will be denied by me if you take a another step out of line, but any other guild, or its members will do. Any one will take a job because they need the money." He smiled, almost seemed to sneer at me. I am not proud. . . What am I saying, hell yes I am proud.
I let my fingers slide and I watched as the arrow flew from my bow and drove the man's tunic into his door ad held him there. I drew my sword and advanced on him but I could hear Jacks right behind me trying to calm me down, as well as Felix quietly talking form my satchel.
"You listen to me now sir." I growled. "I will make sure no one ever helps out this town. I will make sure that the high council of Fighters knows to never take a request from you again. As long as you sit in power, if any citizen calls for aid. . . We will not answer, not us, nor any guild not even the army itself." I watched the man smile and try to laugh it off but I sunk my blade into the tree and I knew it was close to him, I would bet my life that if it moved just a little that it would draw blood. "You think I can't do it? I don't care how long it takes but I always keep my word. And let me to you this. . .sir. If you don't resign, I have a feeling that these people may need help, and when they cannot understand why they cannot get it. They will remember this day and eventually you will be thrown. Once that day comes." I leaned in closer so just he could hear me. "I will hunt you. I will not stop until I have found you and when I do? You will have wished you had never met me, you will beg for death. Or my name is not Jasper the Hunter." I grabbed the arrow and let him fall to the ground, sheathed my blade and walked away.
"That was quite the display Jasper. Or should we all start calling you the Hunter now? I heard Felix from my satchel and he laughed, but maybe it fit. Back in that time it fit me very well. I had high marks from Jacks on my tracking skills and knowing where my target was going, and with a bow, I rarely ever missed. But it has been a long time since I was called the Hunter, and not the Hunted. But I will get to that when it arrives. For now let me continue on the story of how I got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment