Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chapter 3

"What the hell do you mean we take care of it?" I tried to stay quiet as I said this. "It's a little girl, it may be a demon but do you want a little girl's blood on your hands?"
"That wouldn't be the only blood that's on my hands Jasper. It wouldn't even be the worst." I could see he was serious but I did not want to be a part of this."
"Jacks please, our job was to kill the bears, that was the flyer. How can you justify this?"
"Because she's possessed, boy! She will keep killing until only she remains and then when it leaves her body and she is alone on this world it will take form and devour her. That's what demons do." He screamed. I could not meet his eye after that. He stood there breathing heavily, I watched his feet turn towards the girl who had been watching all of this in a sort of fascination.
I felt a familiar small paw on my leg. "Her soul has turned dark Jasper, even I would say that her death would bring a small bit of piece to this world." I held back my tears as best I could, but when I heard her scream I stopped and looked at her.
"Somebody help me!" She curled herself into a ball and started to cry as Jacks approached her.
"Jacks wait" I jumped in front of him and put my hand up. I looked at this little girl who moments before had been tearing apart a grown bear, now reduced to this. I looked back and saw he had lowered his sword. "Something isn't right." He nodded as he looked at me.
"Hey, it's alright, we're not here to hurt you. We're from the fighter's guild and we came to take care of some bears in the area. Do you know anything about that?"
"No, I don't think so. I don't know where I am."
"Ok, well. . . What's your name?"
"Lilith."
"Ok Lilith. What's the last thing you remember?"
"My friend says you tried to kill me, why should I trust you?" I stopped moving, my eyes got wide and I turned to Jacks for any ideas he might have.
"Jasper get away from her." Felix walked in front of me and I did as I was told."
"Kitty you can talk. . ."
"Be quiet girl, look into my eyes and do not speak." Felix crawled into the girl's lap putting his front paws on her chest and staring her down.
"Jasper Have you ever seen him do this before?" Jacks asked me as we both took further steps back. I could only shake my head as we watched, waiting for something to happen, anything. And then, it did.
Felix leaped of the girl straight back as a man's voice came from her throat and it laughed. "It's been a long time Felix, too long. How long has it been? Almost a century? More?"
"Two and a half." He answered. It laughed a little and tossed Lilith's hair over its shoulder, I noticed the eye that was on the side of her face covered in blood did not match the other. One was pure blue, and the other was pitch black.
"My my, time has flown by, and look at you now. I almost didn't recognize you. What did you? Did you finally raise the undead? I know that's why you summoned me the last tie we spoke, I'm sorry I didn't help but even my own powers are limited without a vessel and since you wouldn't share yours." It sighed and smiled. "But where are your manners old friend, don't you care to introduce me to your friends?"
"Jasper, Jacks, this is Andras. The sower of discord."
It stood up, still smiling and bowed before speaking. "The pleasure is all mine gentlemen. I know Felix probably doesn't mention his past, why would he want to think on it much but, back in the day. I was often summoned by him."
"Felix" I whispered.
"That was my cursed power Jasper. I could summon demons, and as long as I took the proper precautions I was safe. We wizards are to keep balance in this world you know that better than anyone. But, sometimes, a wizard's power is not within the balance. Some, like me, believed it because we were allowed to break that rule. We were wrong, and for that we became the first familiars, to follow wizarding families and keep them on track while recording history."
"Oh don't sound so high and mighty dear friend. We both know the truth. . . You liked breaking the Rule. . ."
"None of us knew the consequence, none of us came close as to what would happen. All we were told 'Don't do this', or 'don't do that or else'. But not of the price we would pay. But why are you here Andras. Why now."
"I was traveling in this world with a wizard who wasn't as cautious as you, a woman. She started crying when she summoned me and stepped out of the circle. . . I took my chance, her being so foolish. What I didn't know. . . was she pregnant." There was silence as we all took this in. I did not understand why this mattered but Felix began to laugh, so much so that even on four legs he looked like he could barely stand.
"You're. . . Oh my this is. . . You're stuck aren't you? She conceived the child and your power was stuck so drastically you can't even undo the bonds you made. We have nothing to fear. He's a harmless as the bears he killed."
"Felix that's not what I would call. . ."
"Jasper. He can't even take over her body for long periods of time without eating flesh to gain strength, I am surprised he lasted this conversation. He may be strong but if Jacks were to swing his sword at this girl, yes she would die and so would Andras. But, I think this much more fitting for a demon as vile as him. Watching this girl's life unfold while he can barely keep himself alive. That is true justice in my eyes."
"But we can't just leave her. . .him. . .it."
"And we won't Jasper," Jacks said. "I think it best we take them to the captain and see if he agrees with Felix. If he does then the guild can find a safe place for the both of them and if not we get to kill it." Jacks placed his sword back in its sheath and motioned for me to take the lead. "This is still your job not mine."
I sighed as I realized how he was playing this and came up with a plan. "Okay here is what we'll do. . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment